I am on a quest to make German women’s peasant jackets. The first jacket that I’m trying to make is this:
The bodice seemed like the hard part, so I made a toile out of my modified dress bodice to get the right shape.
The brown jacket below is a test jacket to see how skirting could be added to a bodice to get the look of the jacket.
After I determined from the second test jacket that the design would work, I cut out the first real jacket out of blue wool. The sleeves are extra long because they are going to be turned back into cuffs.
I started to sew the jacket with white linen thread but then I decided that I wanted to wear it to work, so I switched to a thread that matched the fabric since I didn’t know how good my stitching would be, which is kind of silly because I take very small stitches. Nevertheless, below is a photo of the backstitching that I am using to construct the jacket per the Medieval Tailor’s Assistant.
July 7, 2013 – More progress on the Jacket
The photos below show the progress in my hand-sewn jacket adventure.
My next jacket, which I will start this week, will be for the Baroness of Stierbach. That jacket will still fit her properly when it comes time to take photos.